Share this PostPin ThisEmail This

Wednesday 6 January 2016

Boracay - the beach capital of the Philippines

Uhhmm, my 3 week-holiday is over and now back on my desk in Sydney. The 3 weeks went pretty fast, too fast to gain weight from all those hotel buffet breakfasts. It also covered 2 important holidays (Christmas and New Year) where feasting was the whole idea and fasting was not encouraged, at least in my family tradition. More importantly, it was spent with family and friends so merrimint was in the air no negativity allowed. We flew in via Cebu Pacific and had a connecting flight to Cebu. Spent 4 nights in my old queen city of the south where I saw my young generation of family (hello nieces and nephews) and bonded well with my dear friends. We then flew to Boracay for another 3 nights in which I decided to write a blog first (Cebu next) only because I have all the pictures needed :)

The wave pool in the resort.

Boracay Stories
This is the beach front of Station 2.

It’s my first time in Boracay, the beach capital. I know, why did I ever miss this popular spot of the country. An arranged transfer is necessary when visiting Boracay since you need a car lift from the airport to the port, then a boat to the island and another car to the hotel. But it is a short 3-transpo-ride I promise. We decided to stay in Station 2 where the hot spots are and the party never ends :) True indeed, the restos were everywhere, convenience stores and little shops were just around the corner from Crowne Regency Hotel and Convention Centre where we stayed. Our first dinner was in Dos Mestizos which was a Spanish restaurant where we almost backed out because of its dark lighting inside (hey, I have to be in a bright lighting for the kids :)) But upon tasting their family size Ceasar salad, we were sold. It’s followed by tapas, paella and sangria, we’re glad we stayed. On the next day, we went to D’Mall which was in the heart of Station 2 to look for breakfast opportunities haha and some little shopping. Ended up having breakfast in Pancake House where we tasted the nicest hot chocolate on the island. We proceeded to the beach for the first time and found ourselves among with the other hundreds of beach bums lazing around and sipping coconut water in the actual coconut shell :) It was very hard taking photos without photo bombers as it was just crowded. Nevertheless, we had fun even if everything was for sale including building sandcastles with your name in it. No joke, there were resident kids who offered to build a personalised sandcastle for just 50 pesos. Why not, they said it was for their school lunch on the following day :(


Boracay Stories
Ahh... powdery white sand!

Boracay Stories



Boracay Stories
My niece's sandcastle.

The next day was a different story as we decided to be more adventurous. Hubby and the boys went ahead to do adrenalin rides like the ATV and Buggy car while the girls and the kids proceeded to Station 3 and waited for the boys for the Banana Boat and Helmet Diving. Walking from Station 2 to 3 was not really hard considering I had a baby in my arms as I was distracted with several vendors trying to sell everything from clear plastic cases for mobile phones to souvenirs. No matter how many people buzzing on the beach front, the beach still held a majestic beauty because of the contrasting colours of the powdery white sand and turquoise blue and green water. Even though the sky was grey because of the storm in the nearby islands yet it didn’t rain much, in fact, it had given us a cooler breeze preventing us from getting sunburn. Station 3 had lesser vendors but it is a docking area for boats taking people for island hopping, diving and parasailing.



On the way to Station 3.

Boracay Stories
Along with the blue sails.


Boracay Stories
The beach at Station 3.

I reckon the Banana boat ride and Helmet Diving were the highlights of my Boracay trip. The Banana boat was only 20 mins but it was as thrilling as it can be as we were tugged by a superfast speedboat. As long as you will hold on to the rope and maintain your balance you will be fine no matter how much zigzagging the speedboat does in the middle of the sea.

Boracay Banana Boat
Boracay Banana Boat
As for the Helmet diving, we were also taken by a speedboat to a platform stationed in the deeper part where we were briefed on what to do. The diving was only 15 minutes but it was an amazing 15 minutes that I will never forget. The helmet was a bit heavy as you go about 10 feet all the way down to the sea floor.  I was really scared that I won’t be able to breathe but I had to stand up for the girls’ side because my 2 sisters went back up and chickened out as they were lowered by the divers. So it’s only me and my niece who got the bravery award haha. We were rewarded indeed by the underwater spectacular view of the corals, sand and colourful fishes. It was overwhelming to walk on the seabed and feel the fishes attacking the bread that I was holding. The GoPro that we bought in Cebu came in handy for this adventure although the diving company also handed us a CD full of our pictures underwater.

Boracay Helmet Diving
Caught in the act of eating the bread.





Boracay Helmet Diving
Only the brave hehe.
Boracay Helmet Diving
Too bad Jace couldn't come with us.

Boracay Stories
Back to the beach with my sisters and the boys after the Helmet Diving.

For our last dinner we went to Obama Grill in Station 1 and enjoyed a scrumptious seafood dishes. The food and the quietness in Station 1 made me reconsider coming back to the island as it is a different side of Boracay, a nicer side that I should have explored more :).



Outfits Details:

Black cotton bodycon from Sly 
Sunnies from Prada
White lace dress from Morrisday
White and black swimwear from Zaful





The Lord makes firm the steps of the one who delights in him; 24 though he may stumble, he will not fall, for the Lord upholds him with his hand. -Psalm 37:23-24


Share this PostPin ThisEmail This

18 comments:

  1. You are always welcome to come back here in Boracay. This island is not only about the 4-kilometer White Beach. There are still many beaches to explore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh thank you for stopping over. Yea, I will go back one day.

      Delete
  2. This is a great experience..I want to experience all them as well especially the feeding of the fish...you had fun Mercy..

    http://jehanmohammad.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks like you had a great time! Thanks for sharing =)
    -m.yang
    http://www.looksbymc.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous vacation pictures! Boracay looks like a wonderful destination!
    Fashion Soup

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's surely is. Thank you very much Adria!

      Delete
  5. Seems like you had a wonderful time!
    http://www.silkypearl.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been here last summer and i loved it though summer time is a bad timing to visit it since it's very crowded.
    Lovin your family trip photo.

    The Bandwagon Chic | Instagram | Bloglovin | Snapchat: bandwagonchic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really! And I thought that was crowded already :) Thank you Zarra for dropping by.

      Delete
  7. I love Boracay! It's my favourite beach in the world. I also went home for the holidays but went to Cebu and Bohol, but will definitely visit Boracay again. :)... Can't wait for your Cebu post. I haven't unloaded my photos from cebu :p haha!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Boracay! It's my favourite beach in the world. I also went home for the holidays but I went to Cebu and Bohol. Can't wait for your Cebu post! I haven't unloaded my photos from Cebu :p

    www.meredithgeorge.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's nice to hear from you, thank you Meredith.

      Delete